- This event has passed.
Historic Buildings & Grounds Technician
10.03.2022 - 11.04.2022$41,600
President Lincoln’s Cottage
President Lincoln’s Cottage is a historic site and museum located in Washington D.C. on the grounds of the Armed Forces Retirement Home, an active home for veterans founded in 1852. The site opened to the public in February 2008, after an eight-year capital restoration project under the auspices of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. As of January 2016, President Lincoln’s Cottage at the Soldiers’ Home became an independent, 501(c)3 organization. It is the only place the public can experience the history of Abraham Lincoln’s public and private life where he lived and worked for over a quarter of his presidency. While in residence at the Cottage, Lincoln visited with wounded soldiers, spent time with self-emancipated men, women and children, and developed the Emancipation Proclamation. The human cost of the Civil War surrounded him, undoubtedly impacted his thinking, and strengthened his resolve to challenge the status quo. Through innovative guided tours, exhibits and programs, we use Lincoln’s example to inspire visitors to take their own path to greatness, and preserve this place as an authentic, tangible connection to the past and a beacon of hope for all who take up Lincoln’s unfinished work. www.lincolncottage.org
Title: Historic Buildings & Grounds Technician
Office: Preservation OT Status: Non-Exempt
Supervisor: Director of Preservation Budget Status: Core
Working with and under the supervision of the Director of Preservation, the Historic Building & Grounds Technician will maintain the integrity and overall appearance of buildings and grounds at President Lincoln’s Cottage by carrying out routine maintenance and preservation tasks according to prescribed schedules, seasonal needs, and professional standards.
- Ensure security of the site and safety for visitors and staff, through daily building and grounds checks.
- Perform routine maintenance and assist with preservation efforts to the interior and exterior of President Lincoln’s Cottage and the Visitor Education Center. This includes such tasks as painting, carpentry, hardware maintenance, and occasional custodial duties.
- Support routine and seasonal maintenance of the gardens, trees, and pathways. This includes such tasks as raking, leaf blowing, mulching, weeding, pruning, edging, planting, and maintenance of a site wide irrigation and exterior lighting system.
- Maintain a consistent record of maintenance and preservation efforts. This includes project reports and photographs, historic and modern building materials research and documentation, and updates to the cyclical maintenance and important projects list
- Assist in managing contractors hired to complete maintenance projects and keep photo record of work when necessary.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings and professional development opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Experience in the preservation trades or landscape maintenance. A degree from a preservation trade school, landscape program or historic preservation is a plus.
- Good organizational skills with an ability to prioritize tasks and at the same time be flexible and able to adapt to meet site needs.
- Basic problem-solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization. Ability to understand instructions and deadlines in English and execute tasks as assigned, with ability to learn and handle routine tasks without close supervision.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of staff, volunteers, and other stake holders ensuring cooperation as a site team member.
- Minimum physical requirements include but are not limited to: ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. on a frequent basis and occasionally more; ability to push or pull up to 50 lbs. on a frequent basis and occasionally more; ability to climb stairs, ladders, and scaffolding; ability to bend, squat, kneel, twist/turn, and reach above the shoulder.
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Availability for evening, weekend and holiday work required.
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off
- 401K with Employer Matching
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Short- and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Employee Discounts and Perks
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Job Type: Full-time
Please send a cover letter and resume (with three references) via email to:
Jeff Larry, Director of Preservation
Application deadline is Friday November 4, 2022