Please use the resources on this page for any communications regarding The Campaign for Historic Trades.
Preservation Maryland is a statewide non-profit working to protect Maryland’s unique and irreplaceable heritage while creating a more equitable and sustainable future. Through strategic programming and partnerships, the organization is using the best of our past to solve some of today’s biggest challenges, including the effects of climate change, affordable housing, and workforce development.
Although the organization’s core mission remains the same as when we started in 1931, our work has adapted, our strategies have diversified, and our approach has modernized. We remain at the forefront of the preservation movement, creatively working to preserve place, effect policy change, and grow the historic preservation workforce so our shared history can be enjoyed for untold generations to come.
Through Historic Property Redevelopment and Grant Funding
Championing Change and Progress
Through Advocacy and SmartGrowth Programming
With The Campaign for Historic Trades
The Campaign for Historic Trades
The Campaign for Historic Trades is a dynamic workforce development program to expand and strengthen careers in the high demand field of historic trades. The Campaign is a program of Preservation Maryland, in partnership with the National Park Service’s Historic Preservation Training Center. Dedicated staff within the broader organization of Preservation Maryland work on this program, which operates on a national level.
In the NewsNews stories and features about The Campaign.
- Graham Jaehnig, “Historic preservation and masonry workshop held in Calumet,” The Dailing Mining Gazette, September 6, 2023, https://www.mininggazette.com/news/local-news/2023/09/historic-preservation-and-masonry-workshop-held-in-calumet/
- Melissa A. Winn, “‘Hungry’ for Preservation? Labor of Love,” HistoryNet, August 15, 2023, https://www.historynet.com/comfort-kitchen-rehabilitation/
- Shepherd Snyder, “Workforce training helps preserve historic New River Gorge Depot,”
West Virginia Public Broadcasting, May 25, 2023.
- Bruce Buckley, “Historic Trades Training Ramps Up to Meet Growing Demand,” Engineering News Record, May 11, 2023.
- Driehaus Foundation, “The Case for Historic Trades Training,” January 2023.
- Ryan Belmore, “Newport Restoration Foundation launching Preservation Trades Specialist Training Program,” What’s Up Newp, October 11, 2022.
- Somerset Historical Trust, “Cemetery Preservation Workshop at Mt. Zion Church,” May 26, 2022.
- Priya Chhaya, “People Saving Places: Seven Women Advocating and Working for Historic Trades,” Preservation Magazine, National Trust for Historic Preservation, May 5, 2022.
- Mary Grace Keller, “Cemetery preservation workshop launches in Frederick,” Frederick News Post, April 30, 2022.
- Natalie Henshaw, “Opinion : How states can support the trades,” The Washington Post, January 9, 2022.
- Dana Cohen, “Preservation Maryland Supports Recreation of Notre-Dame de Paris Truss #6,” Preservation Maryland Blog, August 10, 2021.
- Preservation Maryland, “Trades Takeover! With Natalie Henshaw And Melanie Weston,” Preservecast, May 22, 2023.
- Preservation Maryland, “Trades Takeover With The Campaign For Historic Trades And Former TTAP Member Abbey Vander Sluis,” Preservecast, March 7, 2022.
- Preservation Maryland, “Trades Takeover With Natalie Henshaw of The Campaign for Historic Trades and Mae Bowley of Re:Purpose Savannah,” Preservecast, January 24, 2022.
- Maryland Center for Construction Education and Innovation, “Build Your Path: Natalie Henshaw (Preservation Maryland),” Build Your Path, September 1, 2021
- Keperling Preservation Services, “Practical Preservation Podcast Featuring Matthew Metcalf of Bucks County Community College, Historic Preservation Programs and Natalie Henshaw of The Campaign for Historic Trades and Preservation Maryland,” Practical Preservation, June 3, 2021. https://practicalpreservationservices.com/practical-preservation-podcast-featuring-matthew-metcalf-of-bucks-county-community-college-historic-preservation-programs-and-natalie-henshaw-of-the-campaign-for-historic-trades-and-preservation-mary/
- “Women in Preservation with Natalie Henshaw,” Preserve Arkansas Women in Preservation Series, May 9, 2023.
- “Preservation Trades,” Preservation Virginia’s Preservation Academy, March 14, 2023.
- “Salvaging What Can’t be Saved: Deconstruction, Salvage & Sustainability,” Preservation League of New York, August 23, 2022.
- “How To Incorporate Preservation Training into Your Construction Project (PPTF),” Preservation Priorities Task Force with the National Preservation Partners Network and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, June 14, 2022.
- “Preservation Trades Plenary,” Preservation North Carolina Annual Conference, October 21, 2021.
- “Workforce Development in Preservation,” Preservation League of New York, September 26, 2021.
- “Not Non-Traditional: Women in the Building Trades,” Preservation Maryland, April 6, 2021
For more communications information, please contact Dana Cohen, Director of Communications: firstname.lastname@example.org
There are many ways for individuals, businesses, organizations, and philanthropic groups to support The Campaign. Find out how.