- This event has passed.
HPTC Build Up Technical Internship- Historic Preservation Project Management Internship, Caribbean Section
HPTC Build Up Technical Internship- Historic Preservation Project Management Internship
|Length:||Term of position is 20 weeks minimum|
|Number of Positions||1-2|
|Location:||HPTC Caribbean Section, Christiansted St. Croix, USVI (Hybrid)
HPTC Caribbean Section, San Juan, Puerto Rico
|Application Due Date:||Preference given to applicants that submit application by 4/24/2023|
|Title of Position||Historic Preservation Project Management Intern|
Stewards Individual Placements (SIP) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health.
SIP in partnership with the National Park Service and Historic Preservation Training Center (HPTC) are seeking an individual for an exciting new opportunity as a HPTC Build Up Historic Preservations Project Management Intern. The goal of this position is to provide a technical internship that facilitates the opportunity to learn the full scope HPTC project management.
HPTC utilizes historic preservation projects as the main vehicle for teaching preservation philosophy and building crafts, technology, and project management skills. HPTC serves a critical role by training NPS staff in craft skills and historic preservation techniques. HPTC’s training line of work utilizes historic preservation projects as its main vehicles for teaching preservation philosophy, building crafts, building technology, and project management skills.
Interns in this position will provide vital project support in both a training capacity and providing additional support to each project team while gaining hands on skills in the field. These opportunities are designed to expose interns to intricacies of project management, starting with basic field safety, technical field work, and overall project planning and the formulation of 5-year planning skills.
This position would be a good fit for a recent graduate looking for a well-rounded experience in the traditional trades and preservation field that includes, hands on skillsets, field safety, logistics, operations, project planning components, and project management.
Identified Projects for 2023 include:
- Historic preservation of multiple Danish colonial period sites on the islands of St. Croix and St. John USVI.
- Multiple project portfolio planning and practices experiences.
- Exposure to historic masonry and compliance experiences.
- Puerto Rico
Position Responsibilities will include:
Orientation and Training
Intern will receive the following training over the course of their internship:
- Historic Preservation Training Center (HPTC) New Employee Orientation and Onboarding
- OSHA 10 – Construction Safety Training Certification Course – 1-Day Instructor-Led Various safety training courses online related to construction (Scaffolding, tag out procedures, lead base paint, asbestos, etc.)
- NPS and HPTC Orientation
- Field Safety and Project Execution Training
- Work with other NPS and HPTC branches
- Long range planning exercise. Assist Section Manager in organization of multi-million project portfolio.
- Participate in leadership meeting discussions to gain experience in the large array of responsibilities of management and project oversight.
- Create a concept project, assist in the development of a Scope of Work, submittal process and cost estimating experience.
Construction and Contract Management
Interns will shadow project management staff to learn/assist with the following activities:
- Document project progress, on-site deliveries and generate daily reports.
- Work alongside project management staff to complete inspections of work completed by contractors.
- Attend weekly construction progress meetings.
- Assist with developing meeting minutes and agendas.
- Conduct interviews with laborers in accordance with Dept. of Labor guidelines.
- Review with Project Management weekly payrolls from contractors for accuracy.
- Review with Project Management contractors pay application invoices for accuracy and completeness.
- Review As-built drawings for accuracy.
Intern will work with alongside Project Management staff to learn and assist with the following activities related to contract procurement:
- Conduct market research to determine current market conditions for requirements.
- Intern will support contacting vendors and shadow supervisor throughout solicitation bidding and contract review
- Work alongside NPS staff to develop an Independent Government Construction Estimate (IGCE) for the contract requirement.
- Develop scopes of work for design and/or construction contracts.
- Develop proposal evaluation criteria.
- Participate in technical evaluation panels to review contractor proposals.
- Develop requests for proposals (RFP’s), including the generation of cost estimates for contract modifications.
- Provide responses to Requests for Information (RFI’s).
Intern will work with Project Management staff to learn and assist with the following activities related to project administration:
- Setup project ledgers and track budget, resource use and schedule changes with MS Project.
- Help develop project agreements, direct charge authorizations and estimated costs for Project Management services.
- Maintain organized project files on SharePoint sites
- Ages 18-30 (Up to 35 with veteran status documentation)
- Responsibility and time management skills to handle remote supervision and remote work
- Very strong communication skills (writing/editing)
- Very strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to pass a federal background check
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to travel frequently to various location, and work in hot humid conditions on a daily basis. Likely to be performing a 10-hour day and some OT may be available.
- Knowledge of the Secretary of the Interior’s Recommendations for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
- You must be prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment with attention to detail.
- The intern must be trustworthy, dependable and willing to work with people of different perspectives.
- Must have great organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Interest in broader opportunities that include both Project Administration, management and execution in both office and field settings.
- Background study in construction management, historic preservation, interest in Caribbean Island environments and history. Related studies in architecture, resource management, National Park Service management experience and trades interest (masonry, painting, carpentry, etc)
- $24/hr (Full Time, 40 hours per week)
- Public Lands Corps hiring authority eligible
- Health coverage available
- Travel to National Park Service sites available
- Networking across the National Park Service
- Involvement in dynamic team, get experience in and have impact on a national program in the National Park Service
- Exposure to many individuals in youth programs, historic preservation, and training world of National Park Service
- Ample professional and individual development opportunities to be determined by intern and supervisor
How to Apply:
Please be prepared to submit a resume and cover letter as part of this application.
Stewards Program Coordinator