About the Position:
The Apprentice will work with artisans of various trades, historians, curators, and conservators to better understand a specific trade. The Apprentice will preserve and perpetuate the trade skills by providing a pro-active interpretation of the work, the state of technology, and the diverse people who populated and produced such work in the 18th century.
Work To Be Performed:
- Learns and develops proficiency in working with appropriate materials, tools, and 18th methods as outlined through a five-level curriculum under the direction of the master or journeyman supervisor.
- Research available information and may conduct ongoing supplemental research to the existing body of knowledge.
- Applies learned hand skills and research through demonstration while employing the National Association of Interpretation techniques to provide in-depth thematic interpretations of the trade, history, and products and services in the community, region, and world.
- Assists with in-depth seminars, workshops, and forums as required using Colonial Williamsburg assigned technological platforms.
- Adheres to safety and security procedures for work, workshops, tools, and people.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required and Preferred Education and Experience:
Required: High school degree/G.E.D. with a general knowledge of 18th c. colonial history.
Preferred: Four-year Degree in American History and or Successful Completion or Certification from a Trade School with a concentration in handwork.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have good communication skills, learn, execute, demonstrate, research, and teach varied hand skills usually gained through progressive work experience.
- Must have familiarity with various universal and specific computer platforms as designated by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple priorities while working within a set of guidelines and procedures with general supervision, adapting to a changing work environment, and working a flexible schedule, including weekends.
Click here to apply!
This job posting will close 2/20/2024.